Friday, April 10, 2009

HE SAYS HE WAS GOING TO JOURNEY WHERE?

(These posts are added two three times each week)

Dear Abraham,

Today in Jerusalem they crucified the man named Jesus. The one you heard preach that afternoon on the side of a mountain. Pilate said, “I see no wrong in this just man,” but the crowd seemed intent on only one decision. It was obvious some had been paid to shout, “Let him be crucified!” but we both know how this is. Life is cheap in our day and love a commodity not easily come upon.

You said you had never met anyone like this man and I agree. He had more dignity carrying the cross down the Via Dolorosa than some men can muster sitting on a throne. I do not make a habit of attending crucifixions and surely one day they will be outlawed. I have certainly never before stayed to the bitter painful end, but as he hung on the cross he proved his mettle. It is not that he spoke often but what he had to say. I have forgotten some of his words, but others I will never forget.

“Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” How he could say this at such a time escapes me. That love he has been preaching for three years, he meant it.

When I heard him say, “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit,” his father was not the same as if I had said it. And I heard his last words; “It is finished.” He was calm when he spoke. There was almost a smile on his face like someone anticipating going back home. One of the soldiers cried out, “Surely this man was the Son of God.”

Son of God…the phrase seems to echo over and over in my mind. Why should the Son of God come to live among men only to die on a cross? I think and ponder and have more questions than answers. I dare not share them with many, but my friend of so many years, allow me to share them with you. I wonder if God wanted us to know he cares? Perhaps there was a special meaning to this death and the world has not heard the last of it. Caiphas walked away in triumph. Could it be his victory will be brief?

I am no prophet. For all my schooling I am not that wise. You were always the better student. But I know what I feel and what I feel is God.

I shall be leaving here in the next several days and traveling on the road to Emmaus. God’s blessings on you.

Your friend,

David

No comments: