Sunday, November 18, 2012

HOW TO LESSEN ANXIETY

Starting on my other blog ONE A DAY, YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS on Nov 1...a 3 day series on HOW TO LESSEN ANXIETY.

 A different sermon is begun on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. 

          IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND THIS BLOG TO A FRIEND GO TO THE BOTTOM OF these comments AND CLICK ON THE ENVELOPE.

       The sermons found on this blog are selected sermons preached by Rev. Wyrick during a ministry of over 50 years.  This syndicated columnist/minister thanks you for visiting.

       To Visit neil's other blog One A Day Your Spiritual Vitamins click on the following  


+++++++++++++++++

       Let's face it...you are not going rid of your life of the causes of anxiety; there will always be rumors of wars and wars themselves, everything from nation to nation to person to person.

       But you can achieve control over your anxieties and sometimes an eradication of these bugaboos of the brain.

       I speak from recent personal experience.  A broken hip should b e a first class factory of anxiety production but I give you my word.  My anxiety factory has worked undertime as against overtime and I credit my Lord and a backlog of faith that charged to the forefront and treated me well.

       I've done this more than once...indeed my wife has always said "The bigger the problem the better you handle it."

       First, on the list for eclipsing or at least shrinking your anxiety is "Thanksgiving."

       Make a list you are thankful for and check them twice.  It certainly beats having a pity party or a crying jag.    

       That's when emotions gone out of control take you where you don't want to go.

       In short, don't get into playing the "What if?" game or "What was?"  Deal with the good "What is?" truths. 

       Your left arm is paralyzed (I've been there)?  Become an expert on right arm accomplishments.  (My left never has regained all it'strengh or mobility.)

       You can't walk as well as once you could or not at all?  Say a thanksgiving prayer for your limp or the invention  of the wheel chair does give you mobility, not the kind you would like but still mobility.

       You are having a vision problems, hearing problems, I haven't the time to name all the problems flesh can grow heir to but whatever is your problem...accentuate the positive ...otherwise the negative will accentuate on you.

       I've used this Emma Bombeck story before but it is too good a story not to use again as we look at a prime example of how easy it is to worry about things that are a complete waste of time to worry about. 

       It is about a little boy named Donald and his attitude towards the first day of school. 

"My name is Donald. I don't know anything. I have new underwear, a loose tooth, and I didn't sleep last night because I'm worried. What if a bell rings and a man yells, 'Where do you belong,' and I don't know?

What if the trays in the cafeteria are too tall for me to reach?

What if my loose tooth comes out when we have our heads down and are supposed to be quiet?

Am I supposed to bleed quietly?

What if I splash water on my nametag and my name disappears and no one knows who I am?"

       Now, yes, I am aware that there are hormonal and chemical reasons for some people's anxieties and I definitely believe they should avail themselves of proper medicines that give relief. 

       Still, for all of the most of us, we need to turn to the great heavenly physician.

       One church sign put it well. It read, "If your knees are knocking, kneel on them."

       One person defined anxiety as a gap between one's demands and one's resources.

       I have a new opportunity for anxiety.  I have a new computer with a new program Windows 7.  For  a brief time I was prepared to call it Wall 8 because it was blocking sermons and articles and anything else I was writing.  

       For a little while I was like Donald.  I didn't just make a mountain out of a molehill.  I started planting trees.

       I forgot for a moment a rather basic truth...keep things in proportion.  I prayed about it and Christ and common sense came charging in to slow my anxiety down...but for a bit I fed foolishness and earned what it gave me in return.

       I've heard anxiety called " unconscious blasphemy."  That's strong meat but think about it, if we can't pray and mean "Lord, thy will be done" and mean it because we trust the creator of our life both here and in the hereafter then that lack of trust really is a bit of blasphemy.

(TO BE CONTINUED NEXT SUNDAY)
 
          ANOTHER WAY TO SHARE THESE ONE A DAYS WITH FREIENDS...CLICK ON "MORE" AT TOP LEFT OF THIS BLOG PAGE AND  FROM THERE IT SHOULD BE EASY
+++++++++++++
CLICK ON  www.go60.us   IT WILL TAKE YOU A NEW WEBSITE FOR SENIORS....click on "Voice" on the home page and then on the list of authors click on Neil Wyrick 
       Recent articles Rev. Wyrick has written for this web site are:  REFLECTIONS
       Here Comes Summer (July 2012)
       Spring (May 2012)
       Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow (April 2012)
       Wayward and Windy (April 2012)
       Click on the URL below to WATCH NEIL IN HIS WORLD FAMOUS ONE MAN DRAMATIZATIONS OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN, BEN FRANKLIN, CHARLES WESLEY AND MARTIN LUTHER
        DO YOU HAVE A HISTORY BUFF IN YOUR FAMILY?...Why not give THIS HIGHLY ACCLAIMED  BOOK
        To buy Neil's 9th book THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN or other of his books click on the following
http://www.magnuspress.com/
OR GO TO AMAZON.COM
       AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.COM and amazon.com Kindle
OTHER BOOKS BY REV. WYRICK
Poor Richard's Almanack for the 20th Century
Sixty Plus and Not Holding
Boundaries Unlimited
I Am
The ABC"s of Parenting and Grandparenting
Letters to America
       25% off all books, buy 4 get 1 free and free shipping
       Phone Orders:  800-463-7818
 

No comments: