Sunday, October 11, 2009

WHO IS GOD?

(These thoughts are added to each Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday)
(Scroll down to read previous thoughts)

I don’t remember how my thinking processes worked when I was pre-double-digit-age, and probably neither do you. Nine years old? Eight years old? That was a million years ago. However, I’m sure my thoughts were quite simple and uncomplicated, for most of we adults did once think as a child.

However, as we have grown up, too often we have foolishly put away what we now call childish things and make everything very complicated.

Ask a theologian who this God is that I keep talking about being nearer to and he can go on forever.

Ask a child what he thinks about God and…well, I sat down and began to think about what my children and grandchildren have said about God, and children I’ve worked with at camps and vacation Bible school and some thoughts other children have written down through the years. And all kind of sources that have gotten inside a children’s mind.

Here are a few of their thoughts, condensed but true to their childish insights.

God makes people and he’s pretty good at it because he’s been doing it a long time. He doesn’t make grown-ups, just babies, because he decided a long time ago that grown-ups can sometimes be very difficult to get along with.

God spends a lot of time listening to prayers and that makes everyone feel very good when they get around to talking to Him. But some people get too busy and only pray when they’re scared. That seems stupid to me because I know that if I don’t talk to my friends very often, we’re not that good a friend anymore.

There are some people who are called atheists because they don’t believe in God. I’m sure this makes God unhappy but just because they don’t believe in Him doesn’t mean He doesn’t exist. I feel sorry for them.

I haven’t been eight or nine years old for a long time, but yes, I think that’s pretty much the way lots of children would put it. Nearer my God to Thee? What was it Jesus said? “Suffer the little children to come unto me.”

Have a friend visit my ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS site. Have them go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Neil Spiritual Vitamins”

And, yes, if this site has met any of your needs share it with a friend. Just have them go to “Google Search” and type in “Wyrick’s Writings”

And, yes, maybe they will back track a few weeks to read other of my musings.

No comments: