Thursday, October 8, 2009

MAJOR, MINOR AND OTHERWISE

(These thoughts are added to each Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday)
(Scroll down to read previous thoughts)

There was a young man who was able to attend college courtesy of a baseball scholarship. He was an average student at best and his Biblical background was close to nil. However, the school required that he take a Bible course which he actually found to his liking. It did not however make him anywhere near as good a student as a baseball player. Therefore, when examination time came, knowing that the professor always asked for a listing of the Kings of Israel and Judah, he properly prepared. It was a long an arduous task, but he succeeded and entered the classroom ready to be tested.

But in this particular year, the professor turned the tables on him. Instead of asking for a listing of the Kings of Israel and Judah, he asked for a listing of the major and minor prophets. The baseball player/student’s response was interesting to say the least. On his examination paper he wrote the following:

“Who am I, a sophomore in college, of limited intellectual capacities, to be so presumptuous as to be able to evaluate and prioritize which of the prophets were major and which of the prophets were minor when all of them were great enough to be authors of God’s Holy Word, the Bible? Therefore, I will make no attempt to do this on this examination, but I do feel that I am qualified to list the Kings of Israel and the Kings of Judah.”

He then proceeded to do so.

Did he pass? I haven’t got a clue, but my memory lane reminds me what I did on my college chemistry exam one year. Rather than give the answers in a traditional manner, I decided to turn my answers into a baseball game with all the different chemicals interacting as if they were playing out their roles on a baseball field.

Perhaps I put my old chemistry professor in a state of shock. I don’t know. Obviously I passed. A sense of humor isn’t a bad companion along the highway of life either.

One of the ways Jesus can help us with our worries is not to necessarily be able to name the major and minor prophets, but certainly to help us to recognize what are major and minor problems.

Some people have a Ph.D. in worry and each day line up at least a dozen things to worry about before the sun is tree high on the horizon.

Not good. Not good at all. If we can’t differentiate BETWEEN WHAT IS MAJOR AND WHAT IS MINOR, we are all capable of worrying ourselves to death sometimes over things that don’t require or earn the right to be that much worried about.

Indeed, it is amazing how much trouble a professional worrier can accumulate without any collateral.


Have a friend visit my ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS site. Have them go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Neil Spiritual Vitamins”

And, yes, if this site has met any of your needs share it with a friend. Just have them go to “Google Search” and type in “Wyrick’s Writings”

And, yes, maybe they will back track a few weeks to read other of my musings.

No comments: