Sunday, June 28, 2009

TRAVEL, HOPE FOR THE BEST AND DO WHAT WILL HELP THIS HOPE TO COME TRUE

(These thoughts are changed three times a week and cover a multitude of different subjects and insights)

It has been said that TRAVEL IS A BOOK and when one does not travel they have read only one page of it or to paraphrase the statement made by many a traveler; a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

Speaking all across these United States and overseas as well as has taught me some rather basic truths when it comes to travel. They are not written in stone but neither should they be hidden never to be referred to again.

When you fly get a seat as far forward in the cabin as possible. It saves you time getting on and getting off. When you are in the back of the plane THE LAW OF CLOG will always take over.

If two of you are traveling together, DIVIDE AND CONQUER . You can save time if one party stays at the airport and collects the baggage and the other catches the car rental bus and goes to pick up the rental car. Also, divide your clothes between two suitcases. Then, if one is lost it is not a complete loss.

SMART TRAVELERS travel with as little as possible. And smart packing takes up less space. Even little things like stuffing your socks inside your shoes, or rolling some pieces of clothing so they take up less room.

Always carry on the plane what you must have at your final destination. We all know the new rules and the items that have to be checked through have expanded. Nevertheless, to whatever degree this rule can be carried out, do it. DO IT! THINK OF IT AS A POUND OF PREVENTION. SOMETIMES AN OUNCE WON'T DO IT.

A checklist can be YOUR BEST TRAVELING COMPANION. Use one as you pack to go and as you repack to return home. Then leave a copy in each of your suitcases so next time when you travel you won’t go crazy trying to figure where you left the list.

Always take an alarm clock. Human error or electronic malfunction is always alive and well. In all my years of traveling as a speaker, only once was a wake-up call was missed. But on that one occasion I was certainly glad to HEAR THE BUZZ my alarm clock.

DON'T COUNT on the airlines to always keep your records straight. If you have a frequent flyer number, always check to see if it is in their computer when checking in. Regularly check your travel report when it comes in to make sure you have received all credits due you. Keep your tickets and boarding passes to follow through with when you aren’t given proper credit. More than once I’ve been give credit for flying one way but no credit for my return round trip.

A smiling face will get you a great deal more than a STOMPING FOOT. A long time ago I came to the conclusion that I am at the mercy of all the people I talk to on the other side of the various counters.

If instead of demanding what I want, we interact as new found friends, we both feel better when I walk away. Therefore, I always open up my conversation with, “So how’s your day treating you?” In these few words, given with a smile and a warm concern, I COMMUNICATE I THAT I CARE.

I’ve been offered DISCOUNTS I wasn’t aware of, received car rental upgrades, given a suite, etc. Once, at a hotel check-in, the efficiency and pleasant demeanor was so far above average I asked to speak to the manager. Warily he approached with a defensive smile on his face. When I told I only wanted to praise him and his staff, he was almost speechless. A short time later, there was a knock at the door. Fruit and a small bottle of wine appeared, courtesy of the management.

So, if you are preparing for yet another journey may the above suggestions make things a little easier and may you remember that when this next trip is over you will “have seen more than you can remember and remember more than you have seen.” Bejamin Disraeli.

But, hey, just remember that as you travel keep alive your sense of humor as you remember what happened when the red cruise ship and the blue cruise collided…THEY WERE MAROONED

No comments: