Tuesday, December 3, 2013

RUST ON MY SOUL (34th IN SERIES)

*****************************************
TO SEND THIS DAYS BLOG TO A FRIEND

JUST CLICK AT THE BOTTOM

OF THIS BLOG ON “TELL A FRIeND”

For Neil's "One a Day Your Spiritual Vitamins"

Click on the following URL

htp://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins



*******************************************

RUST ON MY SOUL (A Novel) (Published by Bridge Press in 1985 & Distributed Internationally)

*******************************************

INTRODUCTION (Repeated for those new to the series)

In an old loose leaf notebook, Thomas Kettering wrote when there was a cry from his heart. He wrote when his inner longing spilled over into the reality of his days. He did not write every day, only when he felt he must. How often he wrote or when is not important. The journey is what counts, for it is a diary about all of us, to all of us. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step,” and even a stumble is a step.


*****************


Evening

Mother always claimed I was a stubborn kid. That hasn’t changed. Stubborn clean through. Now I’m confused too.

I curse God for the mess the world’s in and then pray to be able to appreciate its beauty. I curse Him for pain and then pray for peace. I say “My will Lord, it’s what I want, no matter what you will.”
Then I pray, “Take me, Lord, I’m not yet ready to come on my own.”

Always, there is a battle. Always, I’m looking for a fight, and I’m fighting God right down to the wire.

Afternoon


Is our minister lazy or just lethargic? Does he have the B.D. blahs? Has he burned his theological candle at both ends until now he’s nothing more than a spiritual vagabond flitting from one theistic cliché’ to another?

He brings to his sermons about as much excitement these days as a ten-year-old sitting down to a heaping plateful of broccoli. Once, seminary-new, he may have glowed brightly for his God, but not anymore.

Now he bemoans the drop in church attendance from the safety and security of his study. He reads books on “How To Grow,” and attends seminars on “Evangelism” and listens to tapes entitled, “How To Make Your Telephone Work For You,” but then files the book under T for Tomorrow, his seminar training under NN for Not Now, and his new cassette knowledge under S for Someday.

I can’t find myself and I’m being led by a man who has given up trying. I’m not looking for someone who can walk on water or perform miracles. I just want someone who will articulate his faith with awe. 
Someone who, pulpit-high, still takes me by the hand and says, “Stumble along with me toward our living Lord.”

Do I condemn our cleric too easily, merely from a position of surmise? Is there more to the man than meets the eye? I’d like to think so but I don’t know.
********************************
To be continued

********************************
A New Series on PAIN AND PROBLEMS

has begun on this blog “Wyrick’s Writings” 


and will continue until finished.

To view an abundance of unusual stories by Neil Wyrick go to his other blog ONE A DAY, YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS

Click on the following URL



http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com/
********************************** 

No comments: