Monday, December 1, 2008

JOT IT DOWN

(new additions are made each Monday and Thursday)

I have a little notebook in which I jot down ways to improve my life. The ideas and suggestions come from many sources and about many things, and I write them down because I want to remember them and refer back to them. It has nothing to do with my being 80 because just like when I was 30, I sometimes do forget things. It has everything to do with living better and enjoying life more.

Therefore, I was intrigued to recently read that if I reduce something to a word having less syllables or put it down three times such as Bob, Bob, Bob it will help me to remember that the my new friend’s name is Bob, Bob, Bob Claughton, Claughton, Claughton. Maybe it’s an echo effect. So I decided to apply it and see if it works. Smile, smile, smile as a way of reminding me I’ll like myself better if I increase my smile quotient. Or exercise, exercise, exercise. Or diet, diet, diet. Or listen, listen, listen. It works. Try it.

Some of my jottings are so simple I would wonder why I have to write them down. The answer is simple, I need to nudge myself in this busy world.

Be nice. One day, when I had simply done something nice for someone, I realized one more time that being nice gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that lasted long after the deed. Being nice is a double edged gift; good for the recipient and good for the doer.

Be patient. My wife says I am a patient impatient man which, of course, means that I am prone to impatience so I just work harder at overcoming this tendency. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that impatience is a cloud and sends out more shadows than shining.

Don’t expect perfection. When I was young I collected rocks, but never found a perfect one. Have you ever seen a perfect flower? Have seen anything perfectly perfect? When I look in the mirror each morning I do not see perfection. This does not mean I should not try to improve. It does mean I must not drive myself crazy trying to be perfect.

Don’t do it to yourself or those around you? If you want to be happy you have to learn how to try to love and understand people, warts and all…including yourself. If there is a secret to having more shining moments, this is the place to begin and come back to again and again.

Be a volunteer. There are many good causes that would love your help. If getting out is difficult, offer to make phone calls. Serve on a committee if you are blessed with mobility.. In short, give some of your time to others and you will be rewarded a thousand.

I love the way the philosopher Epicetus put it, “God has entrusted me with myself.”

No comments: