Sunday, July 12, 2009

THE WORRY STICK

(These thoughts are changed three times a week and cover a wide variety of ideas and insights)

One “Do you know what this is?”

Two “Just a plain ordinary stick, if you ask me.”

One “I ask you alright, but that’s not what it is. It’s a worry stick.”

Two “A what?’

One “A worry stick. I carry it with me everywhere I go. It reminds me to worry. I would like everybody to carry one. Then the whole world would be happy.”

Two “It makes you happy to worry?’

One “Of course. When I worry, I can just feel things getting better. If I don’t worry, there’s no telling what might happen.”

Two “Such as?’

One “Oh, storms, droughts, sickness, my husband might lose his job, my children might die, the house might burn down.”

Two “You are a worry wart, aren’t you?

One “No, I’m a worry-mountain. I’m the biggest worrier in the whole world. I’ve made a practice of worrying for so long that now I can worry about anything. Why do you know I can worry about things no one else even thought of worrying about?”

Two “You’re sick.”

One “No, wise. True worry is true wisdom.”

Two “Where did you read that?’

One “I didn’t. I made it up. I’ve made up some more. Would you like to hear them?”

Two “Not really.”

One “Good. I’ll quote you some. ‘Do not laugh, do not smile, just sit and worry with me awhile.’ Funny, huh? No? Well, here’s another one. ‘If you are going to worry, worry a lot and get your money’s worth.” In fact, I’m taking contributions to start a Worry Foundation.”

Two “A what?’

One “A Worry Foundation. You know, study what worry is. How to promote better worrying. The proper approach to worry in urban and rural situations.”

Two “You’re serious, aren’t you?”

One “Of course, I’m serious. I’m going over to see some of my best friends in the ulcer ward as soon as I get through talking to you.”

Two “Will you be taking that along?’

One “My worry stick? Oh no. When I go places like that, I don’t need this as a reminder. I’ll leave it with you. Well, I really must be going. The best of anxiety to you.”

“How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?…” Psalm 13:2

(For more pithy prose check my new ONE A DAY, YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com/

No comments: