Tuesday, July 21, 2009

MEDIOCRITY or DEEP RESERVES OF HOLY GRANDEUR

In hockey there are players who only go all out, play with effort if their team is behind, or they haven’t scored a goal. Once they are assured their name will be listed as a scorer or their team is far enough ahead to not have to worry, they just float. Fact of the matter is, that is what they are called “floaters.”

Why? Why are so many dedicated to being dedicated to a slush pile of mediocrity?

It was many years ago that a man named Ralston Young carried bags in Grand Central Station. His destiny was small but he made it a giant with his attitude. He often explained his philosophy of life in the following manner, “I got to thinking one day of this station as a Cathedral and I said to myself, You carry these people’s burdens as well as their bags by how you act. So I decided I would give everyone whose bags I carried a smile. Not a mediocre, half-hearted smile, but a put into it everything I could. And I did, and it was amazing how many people who had been frowning just smiled right back at me.”

Stretch or shrink, that’s what it is all about! “Mediocrity don’t make no mistakes because mediocrity don’t do nothing,” said one backwoods philosopher. Mediocrity is the child of excuses raised in a family of rationalization.

Yes, I believe there is an angel inside ever one just waiting for the chance to live. Making history or allowing ourselves to be made by it? Molding society or shaped by it.
It is easy to follow the crowd. And really, quite easy to get the crowd to follow you. Do you doubt me? Then this very afternoon go to downtown Miami, look up and point toward the sky. In no time at all everyone around you will be looking up. It happens. People follow.

Natural history teaches us that those animals that acquired a spinal column and a backbone were the non-conformists. And then there are the jellyfish species, those drifters with the tide creations. One day a voice teacher was laboring with one of her worst students. When both were on the brink of despair, the student suddenly came out with a fantastic improvement. “That’s it! That’s it!” cried the delighted teacher. “But that’s not my natural voice,” said the student. “Certainly it’s your natural voice. You mean it is not your usual voice. But you made the sound, didn’t you? It is as much your own natural voice as the one you have spoken with for most of your life. Your best voice is just as natural as your worst.”

It is fine to be committed to being a decent human being. No one can argue against that. It is excellent to be committed to family. And great to be committed to a savings account, prudent financial practice is a sign of maturity. It is a good thing to be committed to some relaxation and recreation. The weary are no more holy than the rested. But, out in the night there is a cross, and the Man hanging there cannot really be taken down till every man, every woman and every child comes to take Him down.

And yes, I believe there are deep reserves of holy grandeur in every single human being. because ere now and then a punk does decide to become a punk no more. Ere now and then a bad man does make a decision to be a good man.
Show me the morning newspaper with its headlines of rape, murder and assassinations, and I will still believe in the ultimate goodness of man. Quote me what you heard on a radio or television news program and I will still, in spite of everything, continue to see in every human being a life that was made to image God.

I like the way ? puts it “………………………….”

No comments: