Thursday, June 2, 2016

RUST ON MY SOUL (8th in Series of Novel)

GO BACK TO APRIL 9TH AND START THE SERIES.

TO SEND THIS DAYS BLOG TO A FRIEND JUST CLIKC AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG ON “TELL A FRIEND”

To view my other blog “One A Day, Your Spiritual Vitamins”

CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL 

 http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com/

***************************************************************

RUST ON MY SOUL (A Novel) (Published by Bridge Press in 1985 & Distributed Internationally) (A new Series that began on April 9th and will continue every Tuesday thereafter until finished) (Thursday & Sunday will continue to cover a variety of subjects as in the past)
***************************************
INTRODUCTION (Repeated for those new to the series)

In an old loose leaf notebook, Thomas Kettering wrote when there was a cry from his heart. He wrote when his inner longing spilled over into the reality of his days. He did not write every day, only when he felt he must. How often he wrote or when is not important. The journey is what counts, for it is a diary about all of us, to all of us. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step,” and even a stumble is a step.

************************************************************************
Morning

“Touch that butterfly and I’ll knock your block off!” I remember the first time I said that. My friend, Walter, looked at me as if I were past crazy and well on my way toward lunatic. “I meant it, Walter.”

Walter was down in the dust with a welt fast growing under his right eye. He stayed there no longer than it took him to roll over and tackle me. It was a miniature war, by miniatures.

“Nerd!” It was over and Walter walked away. The butterfly, free and without restraint, had long before flown skyward.

My butterfly kingdom wasn’t much of a realm and I wasn’t all that great a keeper, but in between adololescent rowdiness, miniature football, tree climbing, bike riding and a dozen or more other activities that filled my days and as much of my evenings as mother would allow, I fought the butterfly killers.

They protested that they only wanted to preserve the fleeting loveliness by pressing the wispy bright wings between book covers. But I called it murder, and took on the first of many childhood causes.

What happened to the idealistic lad? When did he lose that zeal for tilting at windmills?

I stopped at the vegetable stand on the way home from the office this afternoon and the owner, hot, tired and seventy, dropped a gm into our conversation. “Life ain’t all you want but it’s all you get, so stick a daisy in your hat and be happy.”

Happy. I wonder what it would take to make me really happy these days?

Evening

I have never been content to crawl, or walk, or even run. I leap toward my goals. I’ve never been one for the lethargic acceptance of life as it is.

In my youth I sprinted with my dreams. I was a Tarzan high atop a tree, a pirate sailing in a cardboard skiff, an intrepid explorer among the savages of Africa.. Even then my dreams were big.

Bigger than life. Bigger than God. No, not that! The first star at end of day growing brighter in a darkening sky, the magic thaw of spring, the fogs of autumn muting the russet of the leaves. No, even as a boy I knew better than to do anything but be left in a state of awe at the creative purpose and power of Almighty God.

But the rings of that ladder called success, how they beckoned. Oh, how they beckoned. And now I’m here. But is here where I wanted to be? I have good enough reasons for my choice of destination, or must I now seek new reasons since, ready or not, I have arrived.

It is a threatening sky tonight and the stars are seldom to be seen. Is there another race of people up there looking down as I look up? Were they to, born to die? To live and question, prosper and weep, hold on to whatever answers they can find and wonder, as I wonder, who they are in the scheme of things?


TO BE CONTINUED
***********************************************************************
(Complete book available on amazon.com) (great prices)
Neil is also the author of THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN (His last book)
 
TWO MORE OF HIS BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.COM "POOR RICHARD'S ALAMANACK FOR THE 20TH CENTURY ( A book written as if Ben Franklin had come back to life in our time and wrote such a book)
 
And a copy of this novel "RUST ON MY SOUL" if you want to buy it rather than read it in segments.
 
if this site or the One A Day site has met any of your needs share it with a friend. Just have them go to “Google Search” and type in “Wyrick’s Writings”
 
Or…go the bottom of this article and click on “Tell a Friend.”

And, yes, maybe they will back track a few weeks to read other of my musings.
 
 
Three of Neil’s books are still available on amazon.com. THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN, RUST ON MY SOUL and POOR RICHARD’S ALMANACK FOR THE 20TH CENTURY (Written as if Ben Franklin had come back to life in the 20th Century and wrote yet another Almanac)
 

No comments: