Thursday, June 16, 2016

RUST ON MY SOUL (10th in Series of Novel)

TO SEND THIS DAYS BLOG TO A FRIEND JUST CLICK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG ON “TELL A FRIEND”

To view my other blog “One A Day, Your Spiritual Vitamins”
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING URL
http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com 

******************************************************

INTRODUCTION (Repeated for those new to the series)

In an old loose leaf notebook, Thomas Kettering wrote when there was a cry from his heart. He wrote when his inner longing spilled over into the reality of his days. He did not write every day, only when he felt he must. How often he wrote or when is not important. The journey is what counts, for it is a diary about all of us, to all of us. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step,” and even a stumble is a step.


************************************
Morning

My boss is old school. His style of speech is like some ancient rusting machine gun, erratic but rapid, loud, and by sheer dint of repetition, effective.

He remembers what he did to succeed.

“It will work, D.I.” My charts were color-coordinated, my presentation well-rehearsed, my examples many and right to the point.

“No,” he pointed to the wall. There, framed, was a single sentence that perfectly spelled out his philosophy’’

I LISTEN TO NEW IDEAS BUT I PREFER THE TRIED AND TRUE.

I am paid well to do my job and endure this kind of frustration I earn every cent of it.

If I could order a new boss from a catalogue, what would the order designate?

Would he be young and energetic? But would I then feel threatened?

Would he be open-minded and enthusiastic toward every idea I brought him? But would this bore me and make me wonder who should be boss?

D.I…lurched forward as he spoke. He is never really relaxed.

“Your proposal has its good points, but you have a tendency to go off the deep end. You ought to know by now what my reaction would be to this sort of thing.”

“Thanks, but I had to give it a good try. I owe that to both of us. Is that all” He was already on the pone as I left his office.
 
I took my carefully prepared charts and filed them away. There will be another day, another year. A different package but the same idea. I never give up. I’ll be back, D.I. I’ll be back.

Evening

Vanity has become a chip on my shoulder, a hole in my head and a thorn in my side. I demand praise and refuse criticism.

Sam Gregory describes me perfectly, “He walks with himself along the broad space of his thought. He silently utters his own praises.”
 
I’m no illiterate. I’ve read enough and remembered enough to be better than I am. But I’m not ready to be humble and I don’t really believe the meek will inherit the earth. What I want is God’s blessings but not His admonitions.

Afternoon

I haven’t written anything in several days and it’s Sunday again. We’ve surprised ourselves and been fairly regular churchgoers. So, how has it been? Worse!

When I readied myself for church this morning my preparation was magnificent. I filled my stomach with hot coffee and pancakes, my mind with world affairs, football statistics and the comics, and the receptivity of my soul by bawling out Nancy and the kids for being so slow.

That’s why I had such a fine spiritual experience, that’s why I gave with joy when the offering plate came by, that’s why I’m spilling over with sarcasm.

I’m soul deep in weariness, a crying clown in the circus of life. “Toot!” goes the clown and waves a flag that reads, “To hell with it all.”

“Toot!” If the audience of my peers could see me they would gasp in amazement, for they perceive me, I think, as a giant in the circus, all strong and tall and muscular of mind and spirit. “That Thomas Kettering can handle anything.” That’s what they think.

“Toot!” goes the clown and waves another flag, “I wish it were so.” I only wish it were so.


If this site or the One A Day site has met any of your needs share it with a friend. Just have them go to “Google Search” and type in “Wyrick’s Writings”

Or…go the bottom of this blog and click on “Tell a Friend.”

DO YOU HAVE A BLOG OR FACEBOOK? IF YOU ENJOY THESE WRITINGS COULD YOU
CALL ATTENTION TO THIS BLOG? IF YOU DO, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

CLICK ON THE TOP RIGHT SIDE OF THIS SCREEN WHERE IT READS “CLICK HERE TO WATCH NEIL AS WESLEY, LUTHER, FRANKLIN & LINCOLN”…His presentations have been called equal to Hal Holbrook and were presented all over the world.

Three of Neil’s books are still available on amazon.com. THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOOLN, RUST ON MY SOUL and POOR RICHARD’S ALMANACK FOR THE 20TH CENTURY (Written as if Ben Franklin had come back to life in the 20th Century and wrote yet another Almanac)

HIS 9TH BOOK “THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN” IS AVAILABLE ON KINDLE

No comments: