Thursday, November 12, 2009

FINDERS KEEPERS

These thoughts are added to each Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday)
(Scroll down to read previous thoughts)
(Use in your personal or church newsletters)

If you are not happy, it isn’t by choice.
You certainly didn’t wake up one morning and pray for an ongoing collection of the jitters, or fits of depression. A morbid state of mind isn’t a bargain at any price. So then, if unhappiness is not your choice and peace of mind is, how do you find this special gift of contentment?

I’m sure you would agree that there are certain basic universal laws that have never changed. You don’t plant drunkenness and then harvest sobriety. You don’t plant a selfish life and harvest a host of friends. You don’t plant a lazy faith and harvest a bumper crop of God’s power.

But what is it that makes such a large and unwieldy margin between what we believe and our deeds? It can be called sin, or weakness, or stubbornness, or convenient forgetfulness. It can be called by a host of names, but rather than define it, I thought it might be interesting to just look at it. Just put ourselves under a microscope of introspection.

Let’s begin with a few questions.

What makes you unhappy?
You have too many fears? What have you done to find courage?

You have too many enemies? What have you done to make friends?

You feel unloved and forgotten? What do you do to make yourself more lovely and worth remembering? Lovely people are never completely lonely, they have themselves and their memories. Unlovely people are never at peace, they too have themselves and their memories.
If we were to believe the world of commerce, complete happiness is money in the bank, food in the freezer and jokes for our emotions. However, “Happiness is not always having what you want, but wanting what you have.” That’s an old adage, but worth its weight in repeating.

No one ever gets all they want, when they want it. I don’t have everything I want, but neither do I know everything I need. So, the best thing I can do is pray, “Lord, when my wish is not wise, help me to not bow down before the altar of my own stupidity.”

You know, late on some afternoons when the day has been more than the man, I walk out and look up into the face of God.

That’s what I like to call this universe - this infinite extension of galaxies beyond my ability to comprehend. And for just a few moments I stand there, not necessarily praying, not necessarily thinking of the past, present or future. Just trying to be a spiritual sponge. Trying to be ready to soak up whatever God might give. Giving my soul a chance to catch up with my body.

Be still and know that I am God – that is the way the Bible puts it.

Posted on ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS SITE Thursday November 12th NOTHING TO GIVE? REALLY?

Have a friend visit my ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS site. Have them go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Neil Spiritual Vitamins”
Or type in the URL http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com/

And, yes, if this site has met any of your needs share it with a friend. Just have them go to “Google Search” and type in “Wyrick’s Writings”
Or type in the URL http://wyrickswritings.blogspot.com/

And, yes, maybe they will back track a few weeks to read other of my musings.

DO YOU HAVE A BLOG OR FACEBOOK? IF YOU ENJOY THESE WRITINGS COULD YOU CALL ATTENTION TO THIS BLOG? IF YOU DO, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

No comments: