Sunday, August 23, 2009

THE NOAH SYNDROME

Many years ago at a Bible study, one in our group gave me a beautiful quote, “God loves us as we are, but He loves us too much to want us to stay that way.”
It is why I have a framed copy of the 13th chapter of First Corinthians hanging in my office. It beckons my memory to focus on how I should regulate my life by love and nothing less.

It is why I constantly pray for a flood to come, and stay, at all the Christian churches across our land. All those church members gathering together on Sunday morning wiping their minds clean, and then on that sterile slate of their cerebral pulsing w8ith the words, MY GOAL IS THAT FOR THE NEXT 40 DAYS I WILL FLOOD MY VERY BEING WITH LOVE.

Not a little gasp of empathy here and there. Not a little poof of patience somewhere else, but an all out effort to live up to the greatest of expectations. And then, continue the same for much longer than 40 days and 40 nights
“…not (just) in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” That’s the way 1 John 3:18 puts it.

One day a man excusing his ANGRY actions said to me, “When I get mad, it’s over in 30 seconds.”

I replied, “So is an atomic bomb, but look at the damage it does.”
So then, are you willing for the next 40 days to practice damage control? Flood your being with love? Complete, and uncompromising? Nothing negative poking its peaks above the surface of your sea of overflowing love? Looking out and seeing nothing but an ocean of compassionate concern? Aboard your ark named Conscience sailing serenely, practicing in a new way an old admonition? Of course, it will be difficult to keep some negatives from stirring but just keep pushing them back down.

And what shall we name this all out attempt? Why not THE NOAH SYNDROME.

Have you visited my ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS site. Go to Google and where it says “Google Search” type in “Neil Spiritual Vitamins”

No comments: