Tuesday, May 5, 2015

HOW TO LESSEN ANXIETY

If you want to share this blog with a friend go to the bottom of day’s content and click on TELL A FRIEND

          There are over 900 stories and commentaries on Neil’s other blog One A Day, Your Spiritual Vitamins. It is added to daily.

        TO GO TO NEIL’S OTHER BLOG ONE A DAY, YOUR SPIRITUAL VITAMINS click on the following URL

        http://oneadayyourspiritualvitamins.blogspot.com/
 
+++++++++++++++++

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Phillipians 4:6-7

I am aware that there are hormonal and chemical reasons for some people's anxieties, and I definitely believe they should avail themselves of proper medicines that give relief.  Still, for the most of us, we need to turn to the great heavenly physician more often.  That will allow our anxieties to heal rather than keep hurting us.                  .

One church sign put it well. It read, "If your knees are knocking, kneel on them."

Case in point: Thursday when I finished this sermon– it was as always a good feeling.  But I have a new computer with a new program, Windows 7 which for a brief time I was prepared to call Wall 8.  You see, I am not completely comfortable with it yet and I had managed to hit a wrong key and, I thought, lost the whole thing.  I hadn’t, the machine had only hidden the sermon.  But for a little while I was like Donald. (remember him from last Thursday)

And I didn't just make a mountain out of a molehill.  I started planting trees.  I forgot a rather basic truth... keep things in proportion.  I prayed about it and Christ and common sense came charging in to slow my anxiety down...and I found my sermon.

The world really didn't come to an end, but for a bit I fed foolishness and frustration, and anxiety had a meal called me. 

It's an old joke, I went to the doctor and I said, “Doc, when I do this, it hurts.” And the doctor said, “Then don't do that.”

How many things have you been anxious about that were things which you knew before you got into them were probably going to create some problems for you?  And if you asked your doctor, or your minister, or common sense and your God, all of them would have said, “Don’t to that.”  But you made the choice to get into them anyway.  Some sins...some stupid decisions you know are stupid decisions... but you haven’t learned from your past mistakes, and you’ve kept on filling up the present with more such stupid decisions and actions. 

And if you don’t change your habits, you’ll fill up your future, too.

(to be continued)
 
++++++++++++++++
 
GO TO ONE A DAY YOUR SPIRUTAL VITAMINS...Neil's other blog...over 900 stories and comments...
 
click on the URL below
                       
 
++++++++++++++++++++
 
GO TO AMAZON.COM TO BUY NEIL WYRICK'S THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN...still receiving RAVE REVIEWS 8 years after it's publication.

          "Positive, powerful utterances...skillfully enhancing our understaning and appreciation of Lincoln...(Lt. Colonel C.A.Olsen (Ret.) Asbury College (Professor Ret.)
 
          "Wyrick has authored a wonderful examination of the spirituality of one of American history's most devoutly religious leaders...a pleasant and readable book that has a rich depth of information.  (Maynard Pittendreigh, Presbyterian Minister)
 
          "THE SPIRITUAL ABRAHAM LINCOLN is an extremely well written book...it is both scholarly and very readable.  I came away impressed at Mr. Wyrick's portrayal of that President with an altered and enlarged vision of the man. (William Hoffman, Award winning fiction writer, author of Blood and Guile, and Wild Thorn.) 
                                            
GO TO SPEAKER.NEIL TO SEE NEIL'S ONE MAN AWARD WINNING DRAMATIZATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN
 
CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING
 

No comments: